Fruit Cake with Marzipan and Fondant Icing Recipe & Decorations Tricks.

As promised I'm posting the recipe for the fruit cake with marzipan and fondant icing.The Cake looked very pretty but tasted even much better than it looked ,it was perfect to coat it with marzipan & Fondant was soft and tasted yummy.

I shared the cake with my family & neighbours & friends and Everyone  who tasted it were very Happy nd loved it  lot.few of my friends have asked me to make cake for their  engagements and anniversaries..ohh I was flattered & their comments and compliments made me very happy and have inspired me to try such cakes very often.

I have covered the cake fully with flowers as I made many flowers you could use your own imagination and decorate the way you like.The recipe is quite simple only thing you need is time & patience.I have tried and included some stepwise pics too and explained it in a simple way. For any doubts do feel free to write to me.
Lets begin making the cake first you can make the traditional Christmas cake or a lighter version of the fruit cake which I used .. Please Don't use a sponge cake recipe to decorate the cake with Fondant Icing & Marzipan  as the sponge is  lighter  compared to a fruit cake and won't take the weight of the marzipan and fondant.
I have not used any rum to soak the fruits .Its just a simple fruit cake with some spices and nuts.
For the Cake

Ingredients:
1 cups flour
2 eggs
3/4th  cup sugar(I used less since I was covering it with icing and marzipan)
100 gms butter
1 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
3/4 cup tutti frutti
1/2 cup mixed dry fruits
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp orange zest

Method:
Prepare the cake tin by greasing it well and line with parchment paper.
Pre heat the oven.
Sieve the flour with baking powder and soda and keep aside .
Beat the sugar an butter till soft and creamy .
Break eggs and mix one at at a time and beat well .
Mix in the extract and the spice powders & the zest.
Add the dry fruits and tutti frutti dusted in flour.
Fold in the flour and mix well till incorporated.
Pour thew batter in the cake tin and bake for 40 min at 180 degree Celsius.

Allow the cake completely before inverting it.The Cake has to be completely cooled before icing it.
I baked the cake in the night and next morning covered it with the Marzipan .

For the Fondant.
250 gms marshmallow..(use good quality)
500 gms icing sugar +more for dusting
1/2 tsp essence (i used strawberry)
1-2 tbsp water
colour of your choice.
shortening as needed(you'll need lots to grease your hands) I used dalda

Method:
Over a double boiler place a bowl with marshmallow and water

Once the marshmallow begins to melt mix well with a spatula ensuring it has all melted.

If using colours add the colour when the marshmallows are melting .

Add half of the sugar while its still hot.

Mix in the remaining sugar, essence ..
Makesure you grease your hands with lots of shortening as its going to be very sticky while you knead.
Over a greased & dusted surface  spread the marshmallow mixture and with your well greased  hands knead it till its smooth and form into a pliable dough.

You can cling wrap and store for later use or just put it in the zip lock bag and  refrigerate.

You could divide the fondant into 3parts I used purple and yellow colour .I also used white fondant for flowers.

Since I had no forms to keep the flowers i used some bowls covered with foil and just made some depth with my fingers .

Roll the fondant over a dusted surface with a rolling pin and shape into flowers with flower cutters


 With help of fondant plungers shape the flowers.
I also used some measuring spoons to give the flowers some depth.I kept the flowers aftter cutting it in the spoon for 10 -15 min .


 For the centres I used small pea sized ball and pressed on the strainer.
For the Marzipan follow this recipe just replace the Cashews with Almonds and knead to a smooth dough.
Then roll it with a rolling pin dusting confectionery sugar over the surface.
 Warm 2 tbsp jam with 1/2 tsp of water to make it thin .cool and spread it on the cake ,so that the Marzipan sticks well. Cover the cake completely with the marzipan and trim out the extra edges with a knife.

Repeat the same procedure to cover the cake with fondant .After the cake has been covered with marzipan apply the thin jam and cover it with the fondant. Cut the excess fondant with the knife.

Now using a cake smoother smoothen the cake from top as well as from all sides.

Decorate it with the flowers cut out from the fondant and stick it with edible glue(I mixed little icing sugar & water and applied a tiny drop) and I stuck the flowers. 

Enjoy and share this wonderful cake with your family n friends.

I just had this small piece left  to taste the next day.


Check here to see the Marzipan recipe

Also see my other fondant cake this is a Traditional wedding/ Fruit cake covered with marzipan and fondant which i made for my cousin here is the pic and this is the link



NewerStories OlderStories Home

19 comments:

  1. Wow.....looks gorgeous ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!.thats such a beauty...wonderful cake.. Very beautifuly done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gloria!

    As soon as I saw this post I just new I had to come over and see how you made that amazing cake! You did such a wonderful job with your step by step. It looks so pretty...Thank you so much for sharing with us Gloria...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... i really appreciate your patience... looks so well made dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!! cake looks so pretty and moist..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...cake looks gorgeous...so well made dear...very beautifuly done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off to you..this is a master piece..too good dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh my my..such a amazing cake..so well crafted...too good

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely decoration.. Love your fondant icing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful presentation dear........ Love to grab one piece;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...fabulous looking cake dear..Perfectly made too !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is just too too good....looks really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful & awesome cake.looks so lovely.
    Shobha
    www.shobhapink.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow This Cake looks awesome Gloria..just stumbled on ur blog...will surly try doing some..:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. very pretty cake...looks so beautiful....loved the colours...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really appreciate your patience and effort dear..Looks so delicious..would love to taste..

    ReplyDelete
  17. o my goodness dear this is truly a marvelous cake i must say :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The little flowers are such a beautiful touch!

    ReplyDelete