Normally its white in colour & its thick vermicelli & there's a special equipment like a wooden sev press to make this. Since I didn't have the traditional wooden press I used the normal sev press & used the finest hole disk .I also added colours to make it look pretty.
Rice flour 2 cups
Water 2 cups
salt to taste
1.5 cup fresh grated coconut
1 cup jaggery scraped
few drops of pink & green colours.(optional)
- Boil 2 cups of water with pinch of salt ,once water boils add the rice flour & quickly stir with a wooden spoon .Stir continuously taking care so there are no lumps formed .
- Remove it on a thali/plate & knead while its still hot to a soft dough .Divide the dough into 3 parts add colour & knead well.
- Now make balls & flatten them like this.Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Then add this flattened dough to boiling water & boil for 5 min.
- Place the boiled flattened dough in greased sev press /Sev Maker & press to form vermicelli.
- Repeat the same with the other dough.
- While serving spread the letri/vermicelli on a plate add coconut & jaggery & serve.
Do not use basmati rice flour to make this as it tends to be sticky compared to the vermicelli made from normal rice flour.