1 1/4 cup semolina/rava/sooji
1/2 cup flour/APF/ maida
3/4 cup milk
1 egg * Vegetarians can add 1/4 cup yogurt/curds instead.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp almond essence
For the sugar syrup
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp rose water
few strands of saffron/kesar
- Mix the flour ,baking powder and semolina and powdered sugar.
- Melt the butter and let it come to room temperature.
- Mix the egg with melted butter and milk.
- Add the almond essence to the milk mixture .
- Mix the flour to the milk and butter mixture .
- Let it sit for 10-15 min.
- Pour it 8 inch greased pan .
- With the knife score/pre cut the batter into diagonal shapes and place blanched almond over every cut.
- Bake for 35-40 min in preheated oven at 180 degree.
- Meanwhile prepare the sugar syrup by boiling together sugar water and lemon juice for 10 min.
- Then add the saffron and rose water and boil for 2 min s
- Cut with the knife/Make score on the basbousa and pour the sugar syrup while its still warm.