1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste
4 tbsp curds beaten
1.5 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1 inch cinnamon
1big tomato chopped
3 onions sliced
2-3 green chillies slitted
1 bay leaf
1 cup basmati rice
2 tbbsp oil
1 tbsp ghee
few strands of saffron
2 tbsp milk
- De vein the prawns and remove the shell.
- Wash the prawns and remove excess water
- Marinate the prawns with salt ,ginger garlic paste ,curds ,pepper powder and red chilli powder.
- Fry the sliced onions till golden brown and crisp and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the rice ..Cook the rice till 3/4 th done with bay leaf,cloves,pepper and cinnamon
- For the masala heat oil in the pan ,add 1 onion sliced and fry till soft and translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 3-4 min.
- Add the marinated prawns,cumin powder,green chillies and the marinade and saute for3-4 min.
- Mix in about 1 cup water and let it come to a boil.
- Lastly add the fennel powder and garam masala powder.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk.
- Fry the nuts and keep it ready.
- Assemble the biryani by arranging the rice then the prawns masala ,fried onions,chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Then the rice and finally the remaining crispy fried onions and the nuts.
- Make 4 holes with back of the spoon and add 1 tbsp ghee on top of the rice.
- If using saffron and milk put it over the final rice layer.
- Cover with lid and cook on high flame for 5 min then lower the heat and cook on low heat for 15 min.
- Serve hot with any salad/raita..I enjoyed mine with crispy fried Bombay ducks.
Sending this to Remmy's Event