Puran Poli


Hope you all had a wonderful Holi yesterday.I remember as a kid I used to play holi with my cousins and friends but I never liked playing with colours.We only played with water balloons.And then we use to relish Soft hot Puran Polis which my Mom used to make.Yeah we too make puran polis on holi ..Surprised? Though I'm a Catholic and firm believer of my faith I do enjoy other festivals atleast in eating..Being a foodie I love to celebrate all festivals We do make Sheer Khurma and biryanis on Eid and Kaju Katli  and ladoos and many other sweets on Diwali  and ofcourse Sweets on  Christmas.
My mom makes the best puran poli I have tasted till date she makes it very soft it just melts in the mouth.Even my hindu friends used to love Mom's Puran Polis .She still grinds the dal and jaggery on a grinding stone.
I enjoyed relishing these soft melt in mouth puran polis yesterday too so thought of sharing it with you all.Few of my friends and readers too asked me to post this few days back so here's the recipe.




Ingredients:
250 gms Chana Dal
250 gms Jaggery
250 gms Maida/All purpose flour
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp sunth /dry ginger powder
ghee as needed
oil to knead the dough
pinch of salt

Method:
Cook the Chana dal  together with water till 85-90% done.
You could even boil the dal in the pressure cooker for 6-7 whistles.
When the dal is boiled nearly 85-90% done means when the dal turns soft but yet not mushy switch off the flame.
Drain all the excess water and cook the dal with the jaggery till the jaggery melts and the mixture is thick.
Grind the dal and jaggery  with cardamom powder ,dry ginger powder and nutmeg very fine till smooth.
Knead the maida with water to a very soft dough.Put oil or ghee on top and leave it for sometime.
Make balls of the ground chana dal and jaggery.

Take a ball of dough and flatten it on your plam ,stuff the puran(ground chana dal mixture)
Dip in flour and roll it like a chapati gently with the rolling pin.

Heat the iron griddle and place the puran poli once the tava is hot put little ghee and turn the side.
With the spatula press one side so that it puffs up well.
It will not take more then 2 min to be ready.
Remove from the tawa/griddle and drizzle ghee and serve.
Let it cool completely before storing it in air tight container.



Notes
You any need around 1/2 cup water and approx 2 - 3tbsp oil to knead the dough ,the dough needs to be soft very soft .You can also need with milk
The amount of oil and wAter needed depends on the flour you may need less or.more but the dough needs to be very soft .


NewerStories OlderStories Home

41 comments:

  1. puran poli looks really yumm, I need to make some. or you can send me some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks very soft and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderfully soft and delicious! I haven't made puran poli in a long while. Your pictures tempt me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poli looks really soft dear.There is no harm in eating at a festival day hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is delicious and yummmy........... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am big fan of puran Poli:-) your Poli is tempting me dear

    ReplyDelete
  7. haven't had them yet but looking at them, I know they must be tasting absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember mum making and me eating. I am now feeling that I should try my hand on it too. I love the chana filling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely sweet dish to enjoy festival... yes our language is food and we are foodie that's our identity irrespective of cultures and religion

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah..our minds work together,I think when it comes to food..U won't believe I was just thinking of making some puran poli today and now I see this post,really tempting ....soft n delicious,any left overs?? I don't mind getting some parcel,Gloria ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yes na...the same with Basbousa the other day..Thanks dear..

      Delete
  11. Hi dear should I use wheat flour or maida....which one will be soft....and kneading the dough with water or milk...and how much oil to use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think I have mentioned already use maida ...and knead with water ..i cant tell you how much water /oil will be kneaded pls knead till the dough is very soft just like its shown in the pic

      Delete
  12. Why is the puran poli yellow...

    ReplyDelete
  13. How many puran polis does this recipe yielf

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I use non stick pan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Anonymous..how many questions will you ask in a day.?.Now what answer do you excpect for Why is the puran pol yellow..you can see that the chana dal and jaggery is boiled together and ground..the colour is from there,I have not added any colour....You can use non stick pan..The number of puran polis you get depends on the size of the poli you roll..I got approx 40..hope all your doubts are cleared...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry if you feel irritated but new to cooking and wanted things to be perfect like yours anyways thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries...Practise makes Man Perfect..you'll get there soon....

      Delete
  17. my mommy's favorite recipe......

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my fav.. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gloria I tried the recipe it was very very nice..I was facing a problem I boiled the dal without water till fry and cooled and ground it with jaggery..but then it became very very sticky I couldn't make the balls of the dal mixture...can you please help so the dal mixture remains soft and doesnot become sticky or even dry up...And become hard after type mixture is cooled help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dear you have to boil it with Water ,the dal can be soaked for 30 min to 1 hr before boiling ..Boil it with Jaggery and water then drain the water and then grind together Or you could just boil the dal in water till its soft but not mushy and then drain the water and cook it with the jaggery in a nonstick vessel add the nutmeg etc and cook till jaggery melts and the mixture thickens it may take about 10-15 min

      Delete
  20. If I boil it with jaggery and water and then blend it the taste will not change na...and one more thing if I do so I even don't have to cook it on non stick pan na

    ReplyDelete
  21. There was a mistake in the recipe I have corrected it...You got to boil the dal alone till soft but not mushy,then drain the water and cook the jaggery and dal together till the jaggery melts and mixture is thick like in the collage the first pic on grinding stone .then grind it till smooth.sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's ok thanx...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Gloria can you please help me....my puran polis...we're slightly hard it did not puff while frying....Please please give me some tips...And I ground the dal separate and then the jaggery...it became powder...And then put in a nonstick pan for just 1 min till jaggery melts...is this method fine where did I go wrong that the polis became slightly hard not like the ones you made....it didnit even puff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the late reply..was on a vacation.. The dough has to be really very soft for the polis to Puff...
      I use a traditional grinding stone to grind the jagerry and dal...
      You have to grind the cooked jaggery dal together dear it won't become powder if its ground together..the dal is almost boiled and then the jaggery is added to it and cooked furthermore till the mixture is incorporated well and is mixed well and jaggery is melted so then there is no need for the jaggery to be ground separately..
      I will try and add detailed stepwise pics next week when I make this again..

      Delete
  24. Hi Gloria please reply to my previous post

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi dear my family is crazy about Puran polis but I made it for one of my cousin the day when I made it it was soft only for that evening but next day morning it became hard please tell me why did it happen so....I was very disappointed...
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..
      Was the dough kneaded really soft as shown in the pic ...how did you store the puran polis,in an air tight container ?.Im sorry that it turned hard for I have been making it since years and it stays soft for 6-7 days..

      Delete
  26. Oic..I put lot of oil and kneaded....stored it in a box ...it was not airtight...please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the dough has to soft than chapati dough,if the dough is not soft enough the polis may turn hard but if u say it was soft when you made it and it turned hard the other day i guess you not storing it well,store it in an air tight tight container/dabba dont keep it exposed to air
      also when the polis are not rolled well ,i mean the stuffing/puran has to spread through the edges
      the polis shouldnt be rolled too thin if it si thin it will harden at the edge and if its very thick it will be uncooked....
      I tried my best dear to help you out...all i can say is knead dough super soft and all the best..

      Delete
  27. Thnx for you help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Puran polis ..,looks tempting dear ...

      Delete
  28. Hi can anyone use wheat flour instead of maida will it give me the same result because I had tried it with maida but the Polish were little hard and dry but soft when microwave it please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maida ones are always softer than the ones made with wheat flour ..make sure you knead the dough really soft

      Delete