2 cups sprouted val/butter beans
3-4 tbsp scraped dry coconut/khobra
2 med onions slices
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp malwani masala/red chilli powder/bottle masala
goda masala/garam masala powder 1/2tsp
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Soak about 1 cup Val in water overnight next morning drain all the water and tie the Val in a muslin cloth and keep it hanging in one corner for 12-24 hrs .I have only kept for 12 hours since i do no like it more sprouted.
- Dry roast the coconut and cumin seeds on a tava on med flame till nice aroma comes .
- Once brown remove it in a plate
- In the same tava add 1 tsp oil and add 1 sliced onion and saute till it turns brown.
- Remove and let it cool before grinding it to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a vessel ,add the mustard seeds let it splutter.
- Add the remaining sliced onion and saute till it turns soft and translucent.
- Then add the malwani /bottle masala /red chili powdermasala and little water
- Add the Val and cover the lid and let it cook over med flame.
- Be gentle while string as the beans tend to break.
- Lastly add garam masala powder .
- Enjoy this tasty Val usal with roti/bhakri/chapatis.