Coming back to todays post..Bombil fry is a simple yet very delicious fish fry which needs very little ingredients.Lighlty marinated with salt turmeric and chilli powder these bombils are pressed on flour and rava then shallow fried till crisp..These are a fav among kids and most of them confuse them with nuggets..These are best served hot and crisp...
7-8 med sized bombay ducks/bombils
1 tsp bottle masala/koli masala/fish masala or 1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt as needed...
Rice flour and
Rava for coating
oil to fry
- Clean the fresh bombils by removing the fins head and wash it well
- Be gentle as these are very soft.
- Pat dry and marinate with salt ,turmeric and chilli powder.
- If the fish is too big ,remove the thorn by slitting it and cut into 3
- Apply salt,masala and turmeric powder and let it marinate for 15 minutes..]
- If frying later keep it in the fridge ..Bombil/bombay ducks are salty ..so if kept marinated longer they tend to be more salty use salt less if keeping for more time..later you can add more salt if needed.
- Once ready to fry,take flour and rava in a plate
- Dab the fish on the flour with your palms with a little pressure.
- Heat oil to shallow fry ,once hot place the bombay ducks/bombils and fry over med flame till crisp and brown on both sides