1 cup dried black peas /kala vatana
1/2 cup dry coconut grated
1 big/2 med onion roughly chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp goda masala/garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder/mutton /malvani masala
8-10 tender cashews soaked in water for 15 min (optional)
- Soak dried peas overnight add about 3-4 cups water ,salt and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles
- In a pan dry roast the coconut and cumin till the coconut turns golden brown.
- Remove the coconut add chopped onion and roast adding 1/2 tsp oil till onions turn brown.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool for 5-7 mins then grind together with coconut adding little water to a fine smooth paste.
- Heat about 1 tsp oil in a vessel add the ground masala and malvani masala and saute well till all mixed
- Add goda masala and the soaked wet cashews if using and boiled peas with the water left from boiled peas.
- Add salt if needed and if you want gravy you could put off the flame and serve, if you want it dry then Bring it to a nice boil and simmer for 4-5 min
- Switch off the flame and serve with chapati/rice bhakri/rice/bread.