The measurements of the cake is easy to remember as I use a cup /tin ( I use milkmaid tin) to measure .Check notes for measurements in gms... I also add cream/malai and milkpowder to make it more soft and fluffy .Do try it out as All ingredients are easily available at home and the measurements are easy to remember..The result is soft and delicious Coconut Cake..The garnish of pista and almonds is purely optional I used it since I had lots of pista Check the notes for eggless option..You can add cashews or keep it plain it taste great as it is..
a tin of desiccated coconut
a tin of rava/semolina/suji/sugee( I used fine/medium would work well too)
a tin of maida/all purpose flour
a tin of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of malai/cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup of milk powder
200 gms butter
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Pista and almonds as needed
- Sift maida/flour and baking powder and mix milk powder and keep aside
- Grease the baking pan with butter/oil and line it with parchment/butter paper.
- Take a big bowl and beat together butter and sugar till creamy and fluffy
- To this add eggs one at a time and beat on med speed.
- Add malai and beat well.
- Add vanilla and milk and beat .
- Now add the semolina coconut and flour and beat till all mix
- Add milk to loosen the mixture ,mix well with a spatula
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and level the batter with a spatula.
- Spread a generous amount of pista and almond silver and dab it with a butter paper so that it sticks to the cake.
- Pre heat the oven for 10 mins at 180 degree
- Bake till the tooth pick inserted comes out clean,It takes 50-60 mins depending on your oven.
- Once baked allow the cake to cool in the pan then demould and slice it..
After posting this recipe I had many questions on how to make it eggless....Just replace eggs with 1 cup of yogurt not too sour..
Adding cream/malai makes it more soft ,you can skip if you wish..
I have mentioned that you can use any cup ... tea cup or measurement cup or tin to measure ,Tin which i always use to measure rice n other stuff is nothing but an empty Nestle Condensed Milk tin ..the regular one which weighs 400 gms when full...
** For those still having doubts here is the measurement in grams..flour,semolina/rava,sugar all weighs 250 gms...dessicated coconut actually weighes 100 gms but you can always add more for more coconut-y feel..i normally add around 150 gms-200 gms dessicated coconut..
Also my 1 cup measures 200 ml...