The deep red colour is from the kashmiri red chillies which is ground with vinegar and other spices.The more you keep it the better it tastes.Do give this a try and you'll keep licking your fingers I bet..
- 1/2 kg Chicken pieces
- 12-15 Dry Kashmiri chillies
- 1inch ginger
- 15-18 garlic cloves (med sized)
- 1.5 tbsp heaped cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup vinegar + 2 tbsp more
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the chicken well and drain excess water.
- Apply salt and set aside for 1/2 hr.
- Soak the kashmiri red chillies in hot water for 15 min.
- Grind the chillies with cumin,garlic ginger and vinegar to a very smooth fine paste.
- Heat oil in the vessel add the chicken and saute for 5 min.
- Then add the ground masala and mix well.
- Add about 1 -2 cups of water and allow it to come to nice boil.
- Lower the flame and continue to cook for some more mins.
- Add more vinegar and salt if needed
- You can adjust the water depending on the consistency of the gravy you require.
- Enjoy it with foogyas/rice/bread.
The amount of vinegar added depends on the quality and sourness of the vinegar.
Do not compromise on oil and vinegar sice this is what enhances the flavor and keeps it for many days.
We usually do not fry the meat(red meat)in the oil first before adding the masala.
If making with red meat just rub some salt on the meat and the mix in masala ,oil well and place it on the gas to cook on med flame.