I have also made biryani with this you can check this post for tandoori chicken biryani...I have made this on stove top/gas in a non stick pan and later gave coal smoke to it which gave the real tandoor aroma and taste.Now you too can make restaurant style Tandoori Chicken at home ,It was juicy well cooked and utterly delicious..do try it out..
750 gms chicken leg and breast
3/4 cup curds/dahi/yogurt
1 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
2 tbsp + 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp lime/lemon juice
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp chaat masala
1 tbsp oil
a pinch of red colour
- Wash the chicken well and make gashes/slits with a sharp knife .
- Apply salt lime on the chicken and keep aside
- Meanwhile take a small bowl and whisk the curds,chilli powder ginger garlic paste and the garam masala and colour if using.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the above mixture and mix
- Now apply this marinade all over the chicken let the marinade cover the chicken fully
- The more you marinade the better it taste,cover with cling wrap and let it marinate for at least 2 hours I prefer marinating the chicken overnight.
- When you are ready to cook it heat the non stick pan add 1 tbsp oil and then add the chicken with the marinade.
- Cover with the lid and cook over medium heat on both sides till its cooked completely
- When the chicken is almost done burn a coal ,you can place a small piece of coal on the burner below the pan you cooking your chicken in.
- The coal has to be red hot ,with tongs carry the coal and place a small piece of foil in the centre of the pan ,keep the burning coal on the foil ,put a drop of oil/ghee and immediately cover the pan with the lid.this will allow the aroma to get deep inside the chicken and will give it nice tandoori flavour,let it be covered for at least 5 min.you will notice the smoke will become less then take the foil out with the tong .
- Sprinkle chaat masala before you serve the chicken,serve it as a side dish with some onions rings,lemon wedges/salad/Naan
Making Slits/gashes is very important to make sure the chicken is well marinated or else the chicken will taste bland from inside.you can also prick the chicken with a fork/knife.
You can also use chicken with the skin on but make sure you marinate the chicken well especially let the marinade go beneath the skin
You can bake this in the oven too ,you will need to baste the chicken with butter /oil then place it on a baking tray lined with foil cook in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.
Giving coal smoke gives the feel of cooking the chicken on tandoor,if you don't have coal at hand just cook till the chicken is done and serve ,it will still taste yumm.
I served it with Mutton chops Biryani..recipe to follow soon.....