Dal Makhni is a delicious dish made from urad/black lentil and kidney beans with less spices and ingredients it still taste yumm..This is one of the most popular Punjabi dish very famous in dhabas /road side stalls it goes very well with naans or even with simple steamed/jeera rice...To give restaurant /dhaba touch to this dal makhni i have infused charcoal's smoke to this at the end it gives a nice flavour to this dish .
This dal makhani taste even better the next day..do try it you will love for sure.
1 cup sabat urad/whole black lentil
3 tbsp rajma/red kidney beans
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 med tomatoes chopped finely /pureed
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2-3 green chillies chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 cardamom seeds crushed
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
1 tbsp ghee/oil
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cream
- Soak the black lentil/sabut urad and rajma in water for 7-8 hours ,I soak it overnight.
- Rinse the soaked lentils .
- In a cooker add the soaked rajma and urad add 3 -4 cups water.
- Pressure cook the dals for 12 -15 whistles or 20 minutes till they turn completely soft
- Heat oil add bay leaves ,cumin seeds ,crushed cardamom and dalchini/cinnamon stick
- Saute for sometimes then add onion and ginger garlic paste then add green chillies
- Saute till the onions turn soft and raw smell of the ginger garlic paste disappears.
- later add tomato and cook till oil separates.
- Then add roasted coriander powder and red chilli powder
- Cook till the masala is very mushy and well mixed
- Then add boiled lentils add garam masala powder and cook on low flame stirring all the time
- Add about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup water
- Add salt and cook on low flame for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid the lentils sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Then add butter and cream and switch off the flame.
- You can serve it hot right away .
- If you want to add the coal smoke ,burn a piece of charcoal till its red hot.
- Take a piece of foil place the foil on the dal makhni and place the burning coal over the foil
- Add 1/2 tsp of oil /ghee on the coal you will see smoke begins to appear,immediately close the vessel tightly with a lid for 3-4 minutes to let the charcoal smoke infuse in the dal makhni.
- Remove the foil out.
- Garnish with some more cream and serve hot with Naan