2 cup jeerakasala /kaima rice
1 tsp Ghee
1 inch cinnamon
5-6 green cardamom
1 star anise
2 blades of mace.
1 tsp ghee
For the chicken masala
1/2 kg s chicken
2 medium tomatoes
1 tbsp gg paste
5-7 green chillies
Handful Mint leaves
Small bunch Coriander leaves .
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp raisins
Saffron dissolved on 3 tbsp milk
To dry roast and powder
2 inch Cinnamon
1 tsp Fennel seeds
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp Jeera
1/2 nutmeg broken
Dry roast all this and powder it .
- Marinate chicken with salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile fry onions till golden brown and and keep aside .
- Fry the cashew and raisins and keep aside .
- Heat oil in a vessel the same oil in which onions were fried can be used.
- Add bay leaves, ginger garlic paste and chopped onion and fry well till raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped green chillies and tomatoes and cook till oil releases and the tomatoes turn Soft .
- Add the chicken pieces and saute for few minutes
- Then add 1tsp of garam masala powder and coriander and mint leaves and fry for few minutes.
- Add about 1 cup water and let it cook
- Cover with the lid and cook on medium flame till Chicken is cooked.
- Switch the flame off and put lemon juice .
Prepare the rice
- Heat vessel add 1 tbsp oil .
- Then add 3-4 cardamom ,bay leaves , cinnamon,star anise,mace and 3-4 cloves .
- I also added 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Once the seeds splutter add the rice and saute for few minutes .
- The add salt 1 tsp ghee and water and cook till 80% done .
- You can layer this rice on the masala and then sprinkle nuts and fried onions
- I prefer to layer the rice first then the chicken masala sprinkle some corinader and mint leaves and fried onions .
- Then put the remaining half layer of rice.
- Sprinkle nuts,a pinch of garam masala powder,fried onions ,rose water and saffron milk.
- With help of spoon pour 2 tsp ghee over the rice .
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook on dum.
- Cook on low flame for 15 minutes or keep a tava below the vessel and cook on dum for 15 minutes.
- Serve with dates pickle .
If you can't find khaima or jeerakasala rice try making it with basmati or kolam.
You can also make rice in pressure cooker.