We have a very popular sweet Shop near my place which has a wide range of Bengali sweets and cham and all the sweets used to be a fav of mine.I have made rasgullas and posted in the blog since then I also wanted to try making Chom Chom . Finally made it few weeks back . I referred the recipe from Nisha Madhulika and Trupti who posted this in a Facebook foodie group .
1 litre cow milk(full fat)
2 tbsp vinegar/lime juice
1 tsp semolina/rava
1 tsp sugar
2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
100 gms mava/Khoya
1 tbsp milk powder
saffron soaked in warm milk
- Boil milk in a vessel once it's boiled switch the flame off.
- Wait for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add vinegar or lime .
- You will see the milk starts to curdle.
- Once it has curdled pour it in a sieve .
- Pour 2-3 cups of water to wash off the vinegar or lime taste .
- Squeeze all the whey and hang it in a muslin cloth.
- Tie it and hang it for 30-40 minutes.
- The whey should drain completely.
- Squeeze out the cloth well to drain any whey .
- Take this Chenna/channa in a plate and add semolina and 1 tsp sugar .
- Knead well with the palm till smooth .
- Knead for atleast 6-8 minutes Till the Chenna is smooth and the semolina and sugar has well Incorporated.
- Divide into equal balls and shape into cylindrical shape or oval .
- In a pressure cooker take 1 cup sugar 2 1/2 to 3 cups water and add cardamom seeds.
- Cook till the sugar melts completely.
- Now drop the shaped Chenna balls one by one .
- Cover the pressures cooker with the lid and let it cook for one whistle.
- After one whistle cook for 5 minutes on sim.
- After 5 minutes ,switch the flame off .
- Open the cooker only after an hour .
- You will see that the cham cham have doubled
- Remove the cooked cham cham with a slotted spoon.
- In a bowl/vessel add some normal water and place the cham cham there.
- Squeeze out the water from the cham cham .
- To the remaining sugar syrup add 1 cup sugar and let it boil till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now once the sugar syrup has cooled completely add the cham cham.
- Let it soak in this syrup for 2-3 hours .
- Squeeze out the sugar syrup by gently press in the cham cham .
- Make the filling
- In a bowl mava/khoya , cardamom powder and saffron and milk powder and mix well till smooth and creamy.
- Now make a slit with a knife in the cham cham and fill the kava/khoya filling.
- Place slitted cherry and place the nuts .
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours serve chilled
The original recipe had only 50 gms mava for the filling I have taken 100 gms .
You may add colour to the chenna when you knead it since I was adding kesar or saffron to the filling I have skipped adding it to the chenna .
You can cook the cham cham in a wide open vessel but trust me this pressure cooker method works wonders .
Original recipe called for arrowroot powder while kneading the chenna ,suji gave a nice texture.
Be sure you squeeze out all the whey from the chenna before you knead it.
you can add rose water or essence to the sugar syrup once cooled.
do not use tetra pack milk.
Add 1 tsp powdered sugar while mixing the milk powder and khoya you can mix some sugar syrup too.