I call this my last minute Christmas cake ,perfect when you really have no time on hand to soak the nuts in rum.and also best option for the people who don't consume alcohol .I always bake this cake for me as I too don't like or consume cake made with rum soaked fruits so every year I bake two fruit cakes one is this one and the traditional Christmas fruit cake with soaked fruits.
This cake is soft with a lovely texture and fry easy to prepare ..We boil the butter with sugar and spices and raisins and sugar which makes this cake soft and flavourful ..Though it doesn't have any alcohol or rum it still is soft and moist.
This cake yields one 9*5*3 loaf or 2 small cakes .The best part of this cake is its soft even without the rum and you dont have to wait to enjoy this by feeding it with alcohol ,you can have it right after you bake it.
125 gms tutti-frutti/ candied peel
100 gms seedless dates .
200 gms raisins
100 gms walnuts
50 gms almonds
195 gms (1 1/2 cup) flour
55 gms(1/4 cup )butter
200 gms brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
250 ml water
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- Line a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with parchment and grease it with butter or oil .
- Chop the almonds and walnuts and keep aside
- In a saucepan take water ,butter sugar dates raisins and the spice powders and boil it for 5 minutes .
- Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature .
- In a bowl beat eggs add the boiled butter sugar mixture and mix well
- To this add vanilla essence , flour and baking soda mix well
- Now add the dusted walnuts,almonds and candied peel and mix well .
- Pour into the prepared cake tin
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree for 50-60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean .
- Allow it cool completely .
- Enjoy soft and moist fruit cake .
I have baked it in a 7 inch pan and two muffin liners.
* I have used 125 gms tutti ffutti ,you can take 150 gm
Dust the tutti frutti/candeed peel and the nuts with flour
You may use both golden and black raisins
If you wish you can add 1 tsp rum essence
Add 1/2 tsp salt along with the flour if using unsalted butter ,i skipped as i used salted butter.
this cake stays well for few days when covered and stored well ,it can also be frozen.
the baking time may vary it may take 50 minutes to 65 minutes to bake ,check inserting a skewer after 45 minutes.
If using a dark coloured baking pan ,reduce the temperature to 160 degree Celsius.