Veg pulao/Pilaf can be made quickly in pressure cooker and can be best option for lunch boxes especially in those busy mornings if you keep your veggies chopped in the fridge a day ahead.
I prefer making this in a pressure cooker ,however it can be made in a pan too .
1 cup basmati rice (soaked for 20 minutes)
2 cups water
maggi cube/stock cube (optional)
1 cup veggies ( green peas,1 carrot ,3-4 french beans)
1 onion sliced (Crisp fried till golden brown )
2 bay leaves
1 inch cinamon stick
3 green cardamom
1 blade mace/javitri
2 star anise
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil
- Wash and soak the Rice for 20 minutes.
- Boil 2 cups water and keep it ready.
- In the cooker add ghee/oil ,once hot add the whole spices
- Saute for a minute
- Add the Mixed vegetables and the soaked drained rice and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame
- Add the hot water and salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the steam escape ,open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve with any veg/non gravy.
- Garnish with fried onion and nuts
I do not add ginger garlic paste to my pulao .If you want you add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste after you add the whole spices and saute till the raw smell goes away.
Then add rice and water
You can add maggi cube or any stock cube to the water while its boiling it will enhance the taste,i usually add a veg stock cube
You can use kolam or any variety of short grain rice as well.
Always use aged rice for pulao ,new rice tends to be sticky and will result in a mushy pulao.