Baking your own bread can be highly addictive .Yes once you get hooked in baking breads there's no looking back. You'll be wanting to try more and more and its really fun specially shaping in cute little characters . .More than plain buns I love stuffed buns/rolls be it with sweet or savoury filling.I have already posted few buns & rolls before and here's one more to add to the list.My dearest friend Suhaina keeps inspiring me with delicious bakes and always keeps motivating me.
These cute looking turtle not only look cute but are so soft and delish that you will want to bake more .I have filled this buns with Chocolate Custard Cream which I made a day ahead and refrigerated.These taste best when eaten warm but they are delish and soft when eaten the next day too.
for the Chocolate Custard cream
2 egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 tbsp cornflour
5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Warm the milk
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar .
- Mix the flour , coco powder,cornflour and whisk
- Add the butter and essence.
- Gently pour the warm milk and mix.
- Place the saucepan on the gas and cook on med flame stirring it continuously ,it will begin to thicken
- Switch off the flame and continue to whisk
- Cool at room temperature then cover with cling foil and refrigerate for later use.
for the buns
2 cups flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1.5 tsp yeast
1 tbsp milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water along with 1 tbsp sugar let it sit for a while till its frothy.
- Mix the flour,salt,milk powder together in a bowl ,to this add the yeast .
- Start kneading to a soft dough adding milk,melted butter.
- Once it turns to a soft sticky mass slowly add in the oil .
- Knead well for 8-10 min till you get a smooth soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 1 hr or till it doubles the size.
- Once it has doubled punch down and knead for 4-5 min.
- Divide into balls .
- Roll it round .
- Place the custard filling in the centre.
- Cover it and pinch to seal its edges and pinch the seem side down
- Roll one dough into a clyinder
- Cut into pieces to shape it into head,tail ,hands and legs.
- Place 2 pepercorns/raisins to form turtle's eyes.
- Proof it further for 30 min covering it with damp cloth.
- Pre heat oven at 180 degree C for 10 min
- Apply egg wash or milk on the buns and bake for 20 min at 180 degree.
- You can enjoy them warm .
- Or if piping chocolate on the turtle body allow
- the buns to cool completely .
- Then pipe out melted chocolate over the buns.
- These buns are best eaten when warm but they do taste great when cool
- Slightly warm it in the microwave for few sec before serving if you want them warm.