Chettinad cuisine has a plethora of stupendous dishes one of which is Pepper Chicken which is one of most popular dishes from this cuisine the other being chettinad chicken which ill be posting soon.
This pepper chicken is fiery and lip smacking ,the ingredients used here are simple and easily available. The main hero of this dishes is freshly crushed pepper which is added at the end to bring out the flavor .This pepper chicken goes well with rice/pulao/appam/roti or porottas. Do try this delicious Chettinad Pepper chicken
500 gm chicken
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp lime j̀uice
1 tsp pepper powder
2 onions chopped
1 1/2 tbsp freshly crushed black pepper
2-3 cardamom seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp fennel powder
2-3 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Wash the chicken pieces well add salt ,pepper, lime juice and turmeric powder and leave aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the onions and tomatoes fine.
- Heat the vessel add oil once oil is hot add whole spices, curry leaves followed by onion and ginger garlic paste
- Fry well till raw smell goes off and the onions turn light brown.
- Then add the chopped green chillies and chopped tomatoes,saute well till it turns mushy.
- Add the coriander powder and chilli powder ,fennel powder and saute for a minute
- then add the chicken pieces and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook over medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes
- The chicken needs to be tender and cooked well
- Check for salt , add if needed
- Lastly add the crushed pepper and mix well .
- Switch the flame off and add lime juice and serve hot with rice/chapati,paratha or poori
- I have come across many chettinand recipe and some state that the chicken is never marinated i always like to use marinated chicken hence have applied salt turmeric and lime juice
- adding green chillies is purely optional you can skip green chilles and add 1 tsp red chilli powder more instead
- Also some use whole red chillies instead of chilli powder you can add 3 to 4 broken red chillies and skip green chillies
- Amount of pepper added depends on your tolerance level but this dish gets its taste and flavor from pepper .
- Don't skip curry leaves it gives a unique flavor
- you may use chicken on bone or completely boneless the choice is yours.