You surely can get creative by making different shapes of marzipan ,This time I too decided I would make a fruit basket, if time permits I will surely post it here.
As a kid i always helped mom and my aunties in making sweets The best part was to gobble up few marzipan and milk cream while we shaped :P These Apple shaped marzipan were easy and fun to make ,the other shaped marzipan needed lot of patience as we mix in many colours.
150 gm almond
200 gm icing sugar/confectionery sugar
Sugar syrup ( 1 tbsp sugar and 1/4 cup water )
- Blanch the almonds in hot water ,peel the skin and keep aside.
- Let the almonds dry completely ,you may use kitchen towel to wipe away any moisture.
- Once they are dry grind them to fine powder ,make sure the almonds are powdered well.
- If you are left with coarse almond ,collect them after sifting and grind to powder .
- In a plate mix the almond powder/flour and the sugar
- Add few drops of rose water ,almond essence and mix in sugar syrup ,little at a time .
- Bring it all together to a smooth soft dough .
- Divide into two to three portions if adding different colours, else just mix in few drops of red colour and knead till the colour has mixed in well.
- Make tiny balls and shape it into apple .
- You can add ready made plastic/cloth stems or prick a clove in each apple.
You can use ready made almond meal/flour
Make sure the blanched almonds are dried completely before you grind them to a powder
Using rose water and almond essence is optional you may skip and add clear vanilla instead
You may use powdered sugar in place of icing sugar .