I have already posted an eggless hamburger buns before But this is a easier version ..Both the recipes are good and both will give you yummy buns. with lovely texture. I make this Burger Bun when I'm lazy to make the poolish starter..
These eggless Burger Buns are so soft and very easy to make ..do try them and let me know how it turns.
Here I have included stepwise pics for better understanding..these burger buns are soft and yummy and go well with any patty or make any sandwich...
I have made some yummy Chicken burger with this..Will post it later...Please go through the notes I have tried and included many frequently asked questions there.
(makes 6- 7 burger buns)
2 1/2 cup refined flour /maida
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp yeast
2 tbsp oil
- In a bowl take 1/2 cup lukewarm water add yeast sugar mix and cover it with a lid allow the yeast to rise it will take about 3-5 minutes to froth.
- take a bowl mix flour milk powder and salt ,then add the frothy yeast mixture and knead till it all comes together.
- The dough will be sticky as shown in the pic below.
- Add oil and knead to a soft smooth dough,knead for 8 to 10 minutes ,you will see that the sticky dough is now smooth and elastic
- You can use your food processor or kitchen aid to knead,I always knead with my hand.
- Oil the bowl with oil and place the soft smooth kneaded dough,cover the bowl with a cling foil and allow it to double in size
- It may take an hour or 2 depending on the climatic conditions.
- My dough rises well within an hour .
- Once its risen beautifully ,punch down the air and knead again for 5 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into equal balls and shape it into buns
- Pinch the dough and place the seem side down ,place the buns on a tray lined with parchment/butter paper and cover it with a damp cloth/kitchen towel
- Allow it to rise till it doubles it may take 30-45 minutes,this is called proofing.
- Once the buns have proved brush milk/egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile pre heat the oven at 180 degree for 10 minutes.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
- Once they are out of the oven ,brush the top with melted butter .
- Enjoy your soft homemade burger buns with any patty..I will post the Chicken Burger later today.
I use instant yeast,Prime /Moments brand though it is instant i still prefer frothing it in lukewarm water,you can directly add the instant yeast to the dough but to be safe i have always allowed the yeast to proof first.
if using active dry/dry yeast follow the same method to let the yeast proof first.
Please check if your yeast is working well and only then proceed to knead the dough ,the dough will normally take 1-2 hours not more than that to double in size..if it hasn't your yeast is not working.
Always use lukewarm milk/water,hot water/milk will kill the yeast.
Yeast feeds on sugar so add sugar to the yeast .
You may need more or less water to knead the dough ,depending on the lour you use.
If the dough is too dry add little water/milk and knead.
If the dough is too wet add some more flour and knead .
The dough is to kneaded till its soft smooth and elastic,if your dough is not kneaded well,the buns/bread will be hard .
It normally takes 15-20 minutes for buns to bake.
Applying egg wash will give the buns nice brown crust,I have always used milk to brush the buns.
If at all the buns have not turn brown from top you can turn the upper rod/element on and let it brown just or 3-5 minutes.
Once the buns are out of the oven brush butter ,this will keep your buns soft,store the buns in airtight container.
The buns can be reheated in the microwave or if using oven ,do not preheat it simply put the buns in the oven for 10 minutes at 150 degree,your buns will be fresh and soft like before.