Since it was for the first time i was going to try the Bagel's recipe I thought of first trying with half of the quantity ..
Though it was a tedious process i enjoyed baking it
Adapted from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Everyday
Ingredients (I have halved the original recipe )
for the dough
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp honey/barley malt syrup,rice syrup
1 tsp instant yeast
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup +1 tbsp lukewarm water
250 ml water
1 tsp honey /malt syrup ( optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
I used nigella and sesame seeds.
Making of the dough
- Take Luke warm water ,salt and honey in a wide bowl
- To this add flour and mix till crumbly.
- Then once it has come together knead for 3-5 mins.
- Then transfer the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with cling foil .
- Let it rest for an hour ,till it double in size.
- Line the baking tray with parchment and slightly grease with oil
- Divide the dough in 3 equal parts ,I have divided in 4 hence i got small size.
- Form a loose ball from each part and start rolling it on a clean dry surface without adding any flour.
- Poke a hole in the centre to shape like a donuts
- Holding the dough with thumb in the hole ,stretch it to create a hole about 2 inches .
- Place each shaped bagel on the prepared baking tray and lightly brush oil.
- Cover the tray with a cling foil and refrigerate overnight.( You can also proof the dough in oiled bowl overnight and then shape the bagels on baking day I did that ,I kept the dough in the fridge overnight next morning I kept it out for an hour then shaped the bagel before they passed the float test )
- Remove the bagels 1 hr- 1 1/2 hr before you plan to bake it.
- Check if the bagels are ready to bake by doing a Float test that is to test if the bagel floats by placing it in a bowl of cold water,if the bagels sink to the bottom keep it covered for 15-20 min then test again ,once it passes the float test gather all ingredients to boil/poach them before you bake it.
- To make the poaching liquid boil 2 cups water .
- Cover with lid ,bring it to boil then simmer and add in salt,honey and baking soda.
- gently add the bagel as many as fit in the pan , in the poaching liquid it will float on top within 15 sec .
- After a minute turn the bagel with a slotted spoon turn the bagel over and poach for 30-60 seconds.
- Preheat oven for 10 min at 230 degree Celsius.
- Gently take the bagel out and put a generous amount of topping on each bagel.
- The parchment paper on which you are transferring the bagels need to be oiled.
- Then lower the temperature of the oven and bake for 18 - 20 min or till brown at 220 degree Celsius.
- Once baked transfer on wire rack and let it cool for 30 mins before slicing
Slice the bagel and apply a generous amount of cream cheese or make burgers..
I enjoyed eating my chicken bagel burger....