This biryani rice is not only tasty but so aromatic that as you open the lid you house is filled with a lovely aroma..I made this with Butter Chicken and chicken tikka yesterday ..We all had a wonderful meal together...
1 1/2 cup good quality Basmati rice
1 large onion sliced thinly
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp shahijeera/black cumin seeds
1 " cinnamon stick
4-5 green cardamom crushed
1-2 star anise
2-3 bay leaves
juice of 1/2 lime
few saffron strands infused in 1/4 cup warm milk
cashews and almonds as needed
rose water 1-2 tsp
few drops of orange and yellow color(optional)
- Wash the rice well and soak for 30 mins
- Drain all excess water and keep aside
- In a vessel heat 6-7 cups of water
- Add the washed rice ,lime juice and all whole spices with salt.
- Cook till 3/4 th done and drain all the water.
- Put the drained rice in a vessel pour the saffron infused milk on the top most layer of the rice.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tsp rose water and melted ghee.
- Also add golden fried onions and nuts on top
- Cover tight with a lid and place something heavy on the lid so that there is no room for the air to escape or you could seal the lid with wheat dough.
- Keep the flame low and cook further for 15-20 min .
- I usually cook in a non stick vessel with a tight lid so that no air escapes.
- Open the lid and serve with any rich gravy of your choice.